February is National Heart Health Awareness month and when it comes to the health of our hearts we need to start paying attention – Heart Disease doesn’t just affect grown ups anymore.
2,200 Americans die of cardiovascular disease every day, an average of one death every 39 seconds. Heart Disease is the number one killer of men, women and children in America today. In fact this is the first generation of children that researchers predict won’t outlive their parents. Children at the young ages of 8-12 are being shown to have the beginning stages of hardening of the arteries and high cholesterol according to researchers. I don’t know about you but that makes me look twice at what I’m putting in my daughters lunch box! The sad thing is that almost all of these diseases are preventable! With simple changes like eating a whole foods based diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein sources. Avoiding saturated fats and processed foods that are overflowing with MSG (monosodium gutamate),Hydrogenated Oil and other preservatives our bodies were not meant to process.
Tips on cutting Hydrogenated oils from your diet:
1. Look below the label at the ingredient list
2. Most semi solid fat sources like Crisco and Peanut Butter contain hydrogenated and or partially hydrogenated oils. You are better off going with Real Butter and changing out your peanut butter with a”Natural” version.
3. Try to reduce the amount of foods consumed from boxes and or packages. Most packaged,boxed foods contain hidden hydrogenated oil, and other preservatives. Fresh produce is cheaper than the boxes!
4. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store- this is where your healthy items are! Produce, Meats and Dairy.
5. Get creative with your cooking! Have fun make a wacky fruit salad with lots of color your kids will love! Try a Meatless Monday and see what local produce is in season and on sale for inspiration!
YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR HEART WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!